Walking the line between tough and feminine can be tricky, you can do either quite easily, but when you don’t want to sway too far either way there are a few styling tricks to try.
1. leather is going to toughen up an outfit no matter what, invest in a leather jacket that works with everything. For me this means a slightly cropped style like this one that shows my shape. If you want to go for more of a tomboy look then a longer lined leather jacket that ends around your hips is going to work better, and will also elongate your torso.
2. Brogues, a boot or a flat masculine shoe can also work to downplay the girlyness of an outfit.
3. Denim will also balance out a dress or skirt that quite pretty, but will bring a casualness to the outfit, which you may or may not want.
4. If you’re going to go for the 80’s stud embellishment then keep it to a minimum, its one thing to add a little hardware but its another to look like you’re in costume.
5. Dont forget that your hair and makeup can also play a signifiant role. Casual wavy hair that doesn’t look like your carefully maintained it is going to look a lot more tough than a pulled back chignon, right?
1. The midi skirt or dress with a hemline that moves out and away from the body, but also hugs your curves in the right places is going to make you feel amazing.
2. A high heel pump is one of the most classically feminine style of shoes, a no doubter if you want to play the role
3. A lip is going to instantly girl up an outfit. Opt for a classic red, or soft pink.
– GET THE LOOK –
Photos by Ana Suntay Tanedo